The Lodge was opened in due form by the WM, WBro Greg Casson, PProvDepGReg.
WBro Dennis Heskett PProvDepGDC was acting JW and WBro Graham Grishakow PProvGStdB was acting SW.
WBro M Rosney, PProvAGDC, DC advised that two Lodge members had received appointments or promotions at Provincial Grand Lodge. WBro Donald Bright, had been promoted to PProvGSwdB and WBro Russell Harwood had been promoted to PProvSGD and had been appointed Deputy Chairman of the East Ribble District. Unfortunately, WBro Bright could not be at tonight's meeting, however, the Brethren acknowledged the accolades with warm applause as the DC perambulated WBro Harwood round the Lodge.
This being the business meeting the following items were put to the Lodge:
- There had been only one nomination for WM for 2018 WBro Michael Rosney, PProvAGDC. After checking that there were no other nominations the WM proclaimed WBro Rosney as WME. WBro Rosney responded and thanked the Brethren for their confidence in him.
- WBro Graham Grishakow PProvGStdB was elected as Treasurer for 2018. WBro Grishakow thanked the Brethren for their confidence in him.
- As there were no other nominations the WM proclaimed WBro D Bury, PProvGSuptWks and Bro W Atkinson to remain as the Accounts Examination Committee for 2018.
- WBro A Shaw (SD) proposed and Bro P Moore (JD) seconded that the WM be empowered to appoint a Tyler for the ensuing year from amongst the subscribing members of the Lodge, without emolument. The Brethren present approved the proposition.
- It was resolved that the Lodge subscriptions for 2018 be increased to £170 for full membership and £105 for country membership.
- WBro I Haworth, PProvJGD, (acting CS), proposed and WBro D Heskett, PProvDepGDC, acting JW seconded that certain sums of money be given to Masonic and non-masonic Charities. The Brethren present approved the proposition.
- Following a notice of motion last month, WBro Alan Fielder proposed Mr Vincent Stephen Frain, aged 54 years, who resides in Todmorden and works for the DWP to be Initiated in to Freemasonry and as a Member of this Lodge. Bro Ken Lee seconded the proposition.
- A ballot was held for Bro Marcus Avci, aged 52 years, a former member of Keep Lodge No.6538 to become a joining member of the Lodge of Amity and Rossendale Forest No.283. The ballot proved in favour.
- WBro Harwood PProvSGD proposed and WBro Dennis Heskett seconded that the Bye-Laws be amended to reflect the Lodge 'non-dining' status, whilst remaining within the model Bye-Laws. The proposition was carried, and WBro Harwood will now submit them to Province for approval.
A 'five-minute nugget' was presented by Bro Ken Lee entitled 'The symbolism of the Gloves'
Reports were received from the Almoner, and acting CS.
In any other business, the Secretary reported that he had received a letter of resignation from WBro Eric Vincent PProvDepGSuptWks who had not been able to attend the Lodge for some time. However, he was not leaving Freemasonry, but was joining a Lodge in Rossendale closer to his home.
The minutes recorded apologies from members, however, 17 members and 2 visitors were in attendance. One of the visitors was a Master Mason, Bro Clive Lawes from the Lodge 'La Chaîne de Fraternité No.1611' under the GRANDE LOGE NATIONALE FRANÇAISE, and of course, he gave a very eloquent greeting in French. This prompted WBro Heskett to comment, in a jovial manner, that he hoped the Secretary had managed to get all that down for the Minutes.
We were joined at the Festive Board by Mr Vincent Stephen Frain the prospective candidate and two other non-Masons contemplating joining Freemasonry.
FOOT NOTE: The Secretary did in deed manage to get down the greetings from our French visitor which was as follows: "Vénérable Maitre, Je vous apport les sincère salutations de ma Lodge, La Chaine du Fraternité ,1611 Rite de Emulation en Français. A la temple du Rois Soliman à Vienne. Je apport aussi le salutations de notre Vénérable Maitre Thierry Gourdant. Nous réunissons le troisième jeudi du mois."
Which translates to english as: "Venerable Master, I bring you the sincere greetings of my Lodge, The Chain of Fraternity, 1611 Rite of Emulation in French. At the temple of Kings Soliman in Vienna. I also bring greetings from our Venerable Master Thierry Gourdant. We are meeting the third Thursday of the month."